Ways to help the bereaved when you’re not sure what to do:
1. Be a good listener.
2. Respect the person's way of grieving.
3. Accept mood swings.
4. Avoid giving advice.
5. Refrain from trying to explain the loss.
6. Help out with practical tasks.
7. Stay connected and available.
8. Watch for increased use of alcohol.
9. Offer words that touch the heart.
10. Don’t try to change the subject.
11. Realize that just being present for their pain is enough, you can’t fix the issue.
12. State the truth this hurts but I’m here and I love you.
13. Make a note to reach out 90 days after the loss as most people feel very alone at that time in the grief process.